Gum Grafting: Everything You Need to Know
Are you experiencing a gum recession? Do your teeth look longer than before? If yes, then you might be a candidate for gum grafting. It is possible to have gum tissue from one area of your mouth attached to the place where your gums have receded through a surgical technique called gum grafting. Your smile will look better due to this surgery, which will also shield your teeth from additional harm.
If you’re considering gum grafting in Calgary, you might have some questions. In this blog post, we’ll cover everything you need to know about gum grafting, including the benefits, the procedure, and the recovery process.
Benefits of Gum Grafting
Gum grafting can provide several benefits, including:
- Improved appearance: Gum recession can make your teeth look longer than they are. Gum grafting can restore your teeth’s natural form and enhance the look of your smile.
- Reduced sensitivity: When your gums recede, your tooth roots become exposed, which can cause sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures. Gum grafting can cover the exposed roots and reduce sensitivity.
- Protection against further damage: Gum recession can lead to tooth decay and other dental problems. Gum grafting can protect your teeth from further damage and improve your overall oral health.
The Gum Grafting Procedure
The gum grafting procedure typically involves the following steps:
- Anesthetic: To numb the region where the gum tissue will be removed and the graft will be put in, your dentist will inject the local anesthetic.
- Tissue removal: A small amount of tissue will be removed by your dentist from the roof of your mouth or another region of your mouth.
- Graft placement: Your dentist will attach the gum tissue to the area where your gums have receded using sutures or another type of adhesive.
- Recovery: You’ll need to follow specific instructions from your dentist to ensure a successful recovery.
After the gum grafting procedure, you’ll need to take some steps to ensure a successful recovery. These steps may include:
· It’s best to steer clear of hard or crunchy foods for a few days.
· Using a special mouthwash to help prevent infection
· Taking painkillers as directed by your dentist.
· Staying away from tobacco products and smoking. Your dentist will provide you with customized advice depending on your personal needs.
Gum grafting can be an effective solution for gum recession. If you’re considering gum grafting in Calgary, it’s essential to understand the benefits, the procedure, and the recovery process. By following your dentist’s instructions and taking proper care of your gums after the procedure, you can enjoy a healthier, more beautiful smile.
Comments are closed.